Monday 14 July 2014

MY HAPPIEST DAY ON AIR WAS THE DAY FASHOLA’S WIFE CALLED ME’ – STEVE ONU (YAW)


Can we meet Yaw?
My name is Steve Onu. I’m from Awka in Anambra State, but born in Lagos and have been in Lagos since then. I’m the seventh in a family of ten children. I read Theatre Arts at the Lagos State University, Ojo, but have a diploma in Radio/TV and Film Production.


Tell us about your journey into Wazobia FM.
I came with a friend, Bunmi Davies, to see a former employee of this station, Mr. Ibrahim Abubakar. So, he told me that Cool FM was about to start a new radio station and that he would like to see Bunmi because he does comedy. On our way home, I told Bunmi that I wouldn’t mind working with these people o! And he said I should tell Mr. Ibrahim. I asked him if I could bring my CV for freelance employment. But it took me nearly three months to submit one. Because before then, I had never written a CV. Besides, I thought about the standard at which I had to write it and before then, I had always told myself that I didn’t want to work for anyone. All this was in 1997 and since then, I just thank God.

How will you describe your experience working with the station?
It is out of this world. One thing is that, if you have a management that allows you to be you and that is one thing that I have noticed here, you will grow. From my managing director to the general manager that we had before now, Mr. Charles and down to the MD’s daughter, Evita, they all allow you to be you. They give you the opportunity to do what you want to do, because they believe you are the one people are listening to. It is not that we don’t have guiding laws here, but they allow creativity. Yes! Like other companies, you have your ups and downs, but if you are here, they allow you to bring out your best. So, the experience has been awesome and wonderful.

Are there moments you feel like quitting?
Yes! That is normal. You know there are times you feel like I can’t continue with this. Maybe, one or two things happened in the management and it really affected your job or mood. Then, for the fact that you need to wake up very early is not easy. I resume at work every day, aside Saturdays, by 5a.m. So, I have to be on the road as early as 4a.m. You don’t expect me to come on air sleepy! It is not easy at all, but it is well.

So, with all these, what has kept you going?
It is just the love for the people. When you know that people are there happy because you are on air. When all these happen, I’m happy. So, I made a promise to myself that I must strive to always make people happy. So, when I’m thinking of your good and you are also thinking of mine, then I feel good.

Tell us about your most exciting day on air.
They are so many. But the day the wife of the Executive Governor of Lagos, Abimbola Fashola, called me while on air saying “Yaw, I dey listen to you o, I like wetin you dey do and I dey gbadun you”, I was really shocked that day. And I have some crazy callers too who from time to time call me to ginger my swagger.

What about the bad times?
It happened once during my early days in this station. There was a particular day I was supposed to read news, I got into the studio, switched on the mirco-phone, then the script I was supposed to read got missing. I knew I went into the studio with it, but I didn’t know where I dropped it. Then, I began to ask myself, “Where I keep the news”, searching and talking and the microphone was on. And by the time I saw it, that was when I realized that the microphone was on; trust me! I covered up. “Thank God I don see the news, na witch people, na dem wan thief the news comot for here, but shame on them, I don see the news”. But, believe me, when I realized that the microphone was on while I was busy talking to myself and searching, I wanted to faint. Mr. Ibrahim, my boss then, came to the studio, when I saw him, I thought that would be the end of my job, but he smiled at me and gave me thumbs up.

When you got here, what target did you set for yourself?
To be the best and touch lives.

So, would you say you have been able to achieve that?
We are still trying. We are still on the matter. Because, if you say you have achieved it, that means you believe you have arrived and if vice versa, it means you are not trying at all. At least. I have more than 30 awards to show for this.

Of all the presenters here, who do you feel at home most with?
I feel at home mostly with everybody, because I have worked with all of them at one point in time or the other. Apart from Matse, the others worked with me before they had their own air-time.

How do you prepare before you come on air?
Normally, we do what we call ‘show prep’. Some of those things that I would say tomorrow would have been sent today. My major topic might not be a breaking news, so you should have sent it to the management to look at it and make corrections.

How do you cope working seven days in a week?
I work six days, the seventh day is a Saturday and that is when I do my personal stuff like MC for weddings and other engagements. But when you love and enjoy what you do, I don’t think you will complain about how many days you spend doing it. The callers and my partners have been very wonderful and they have kept the fire burning.

What do you think makes a good on-air personality?
It is the ability to be yourself; do things naturally, without trying to form or copy other people. It is the same way we talk while on air that we talk when you meet us one on one.

When can a presenter be described as an achiever?
Don’t forget, you are serving the people and once they say yes, we are standing with you, that is one. I was interviewed by CNN, BCC and Reuters sometime ago, they said they kept hearing my name and that was why they decided to come and interview me. In my mind, I thought I had arrived, but I thought within myself again, am I actually there? Can I go to America, UK today and get recognized? Even in Nigeria, how many states would I go to and get recognition? But as a broadcaster, I believe you can know within yourself if you are there or not.

So, when is Yaw going to be called a father?
Yes! I’m not a father now, but I’m involved. Let us watch and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Abducted Singer: Why We Suspected Police’s Attempt To Divert $200,000 Ransom – Record Label Boss Explains

The CEO of Eric Many Records, Dilly Umenyiora, has explained what transpired between him and the Delta State Police Command regarding the k...